Technology is ever changing. For 45 years SPR has evolved to remain relevant and provide the services that our clients need most.
- The Beginning
- Growing Leadership
- SPR Goes Public
- SPR Merges with Leapnet
- SPR Companies Formed
- SPR Consulting Emerges
SPR is Founded
SPR is founded as a staffing company by Gene Figliulo, father of current CEO, Rob Figliulo. Today, Gene would be regarded as a successful CIO, but in 1973 he’s called an EDP (Electronic Data Processing) Manager.
Also in 1973
- Motorola makes the first cell phone call
- Sears Tower construction is completed
- The entire internet consists of 45 computers and can be mapped out on a napkin
SPR's New Leadership
Gene Figliulo retires, leaving the company to his sons who take leadership positions. They focus on helping the company evolve with ever changing technologies.
Also in 1991
- The World Wide Web is launched to the public
- Apple introduces the Macintosh PowerBook, featuring a built-in trackball, internal floppy drive, and palm rests.
SPR Goes Public
Under Rob Figliulo’s leadership, SPR goes public.
Also in 1997
- 30% of U.S. households are using AOL’s dial up internet
- Deep Blue, an IBM supercomputer, beats a human in chess for the first time
- Titanic is a box office hit
SPR Merges with Leapnet
With the company uniquely positioned to face challenges surrounding Y2K, SPR merges with Leapnet, a top Chicago workplace. In 2002, leadership takes the company private to remain strong while facing the industry-wide “tech wreck.”
Also in 2000
- Sony releases PlayStation 2
- USB flash drives enter the market
SPR Companies Formed
After privatization in 2002, SPR begins to hone its focus. The goal: to maintain a company that delights clients by empowering business decisions with technology.
Also in 2003
- MySpace platform launches
- Blu-Ray discs released
SPR Consulting Emerges
SPR merges its capabilities into a single brand of technology experts. The focus is to serve clients with end-to-end solutions, a holistic portfolio of technology capabilities, and a commitment to civic engagement.
Also in 2014
- HTML5 is introduced
- Apple releases ApplePay
SPR Continues to Flourish
Today, SPR is recognized as a leader in guiding clients through digital transformation. The company has been named one of Crain’s Largest Private Companies in Chicago, is listed by Illinois Technology Association (ITA) as a leading IoT company, and is on the Built In Chicago Top 100 list of Digital Tech Companies in Chicago.
Also in 2018
- Carriers promise to launch 5G by end of year
- Microsoft acquires GitHub
- Cybersecurity is top of mind – thanks, Facebook